Life of Shanks

your backstage pass to a Canadian diva

5/17/2008

Ahh Lyon

Posted by Sistah Girl |

I do love this town. The fantastic buildings, the cobble streets- the hundreds of restaurants downtown ( take note Edmonton). I've been to more than a few restaurants, and I must say wow. Best food I've EVER had. Bill and I went to this one place- no idea what it is called, but it had the best Gnocci we've ever had. And for Bill to say that, it was ridiculously good. We're going back for lunch today.



2 nights ago- Bill took me and Liz (from the Edmonton Journal) to a gay restaurant. He had happened to stumble upon it, and besides the staff being in love with him, the food was amazing. So he took us back.


We had a BLAST... here's a pic of our waiter Tony. We now have a place to stay if we ever return here.


A few things I've learned so far:
So before I came- the rumours that the French were rude were flying though my ears. I find in Lyon quite the opposite. You do your own thing, they do theirs. You attempt to speak French, and they may laugh at you with pronunciation,but they appreciate the effort. You do have to watch where you're going, because dog owners don't believe in taking their dogs to parks and picking up after them. Today when it is rainy out... the streets are particularly dangerous because of that. Bread is served with EVERYTHING. I mean- absolutely everything. If you have a wheat allergy France is not the place to come... and finally you eat from 12-2 or you're not going to get lunch. Alot of places close down. Me who is usually the late lunch eater is having issues remembering that one.

On another note... The shopping here is also fantastic. I remember why I loved European style... there actually is some! Shopping at home won't be the same after this. Today it is raining, and I just finished breakfast so I'm going to head out and roam the streets a bit. I'm meeting Bill and Liz in a few hours for lunch, so I may just spend a bit of money before that. Tomorrow being Sunday ( and all the stores are closed) I'm heading up to the hill where the beautiful basilica is. The old 5th quarter is apparently amazing to explore- so that's my Sunday activity. And then I head to Pariee! More later!

1 comments:

myla said...

wow, mel! sounds amazing. . and you look superfab! :) enjoy the yummie food for me! i'm quite envious! :) i'm lovin' you :)

Subscribe